Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pearly Whites

We went to the dentist a few weeks ago. It was Lucy's first time getting her teeth cleaned so I had to document the experience. It was quite fun! She has always loved that they have a Thomas the Train table to play with...it is hard to get her to leave it! Lucy and I had to get our x-rays done since I was pregnant last time I went, and the time before they were in a new office and it wasn't working regularly. Sadie was sad that she didn't get to do it. But she got over it after a moment of grouchiness! (The joys of adjusting to a new baby! Everything is blown out of proportion!)I usually keep my little camera in my purse for moments like this. Lucy LOVES to play with it! She loves taking pictures of everyone and everything. She took a TON of pictures of the environment at the Dentist. She took pictures of pictures, the TV, the girl giving them stickers EVERYTHING! Here is one that the sticker girl took of Lucy. I think it is such a funny little half smile. She is always so cheesy that I like how sweet and soft this smile is. Lucy took one of Mommy during my turn. Sadie went first to show Lucy how it was done. She was such a good example and is so patient and obedient.All CLEAN! Look at those "glowing" teeth! :)Now it's Lucy's turn and boy is she silly!

Whenever it is some one's first time at the Dentist, they show them all the different tools and explain what they do. It is so cute and the girls really enjoy it. They think it is so fun to go to the Dentist. Lucy thought it was so funny that this one blows air out. The hygienist was blowing it on them and it was so fun!Woa! What came out of this one!?! WATER! So shocked!This one is a favorite! The one that sucks the water out of your mouth!Lucy thought that was absolutely crazy and hilarious! She LOVED it!She loved it so much that she was putting the Hygienist to the test! While she was squirting Lucy's teeth clean and had the sucking one in her mouth, Lucy would randomly and quickly close her mouth! It was so funny! Lucy thought she was so tricky and so silly. I have to say, the Hygienist was on the ball and had skills because Lucy never got a squirt in the face! It came close a couple of times but she was good. They were having fun! :)Not enjoying it too much here.And of course, we had to talk to the Dentist about this:It was SO cute when she was a baby; and I must admit I still love it. Because that means it is cuddle time! When she did it as a baby I felt like I had to hurry and take pictures of it like I would never see it again. But of course we have seen it many times since then. She used to just suck on her fingers when she was laying down in her bed and twisting the ties on the bumper pad with her other hand. Now that she does not take naps anymore, we see the finger sucking more often. When she gets a little tired, she finds comfort in sucking those cute little fingers. I always loved when babies would suck their middle two fingers because then it looked like the "I Love You" sign in sign language!

But, now that she is getting bigger, we need to start thinking about stopping this habit so that it doesn't mess up her teeth. So, the Dentist said that it is a good time to stop. :( I just feel bad because she doesn't have her bumper pad ties to twist anymore since she is in a big girl bed and now we need to take away this! Poor Lucy. I need to make some kind of a blanket that has different tassel things on it for her to twist and play with to soothe herself. I did notice the other night that she has started playing with the fabric of the pillow case on the open end. Too cute.

We all got a clean bill of health and enjoyed our visit to the Dentist. Lucy did a GREAT job with her first visit. They were so excited to get something from the treasure box AND get a new toothbrush and toothpaste! Our Dentist has the BEST treasures! Lucy got a toy car and Sadie got a bracelet since she LOVES jewelry!

Side note: I think it is so funny because Lucy is kind of a little tom boy sometimes. Although she loves dresses! She loves animals figures, she picks a car as her toy from the dentist. Whenever we get pull ups she always chooses Cars over princesses, and she picked a Mater toothbrush over princesses too! She is so funny and I just love her spunky little personality! She always makes me laugh!

4 comments:

Susanne said...

Lucy is too cute! I think it's adorable that she sucks her fingers (even if it is bad for her teeth). :-)

Rachel said...

Love that little girl! What a silly goose! Any ideas on how you're going to stop the finger sucking? Good luck!

Tricia said...

She cracks me up! I can't wait to play with her all summer long! Glad she had so much fun at the Dentist we go again next week!

Heather said...

I love how much FUN you always have with your girls. I always knew you would be the most fun mom!!!