Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Adventures

Yesterday I was on the phone with my sister Tara, getting some hopeful adoption news, when the girls ran in telling me they found a lizard and they wanted me to catch it. So I got a little jar, one that we put the last lizard we caught in. They showed me where it was while giggling with excitement and Lucy proclaiming the it tickled her tummy. When I saw it I immediately realized it was too big for our previous lizard home. Against my wishes, Sadie ran inside and got a bigger container. I am not too much of a lizard catching girl, I used to be when I was little, but not so much anymore. I told Sadie I didn't want to catch it, that it was too big. (The one I caught before was A. 2 inches long (tail included) and B. in the house so I had to catch it!) This one was a lot bigger and outside! I told her she could catch it, but she was too afraid too. So I built up my courage, Lucy found me a stick to scoop it with, and I tried to scoop it into the container. It was way up near the top of the swing set so I could totally see it falling right on me! After trying for a few minutes it finally jumped right into the container! I screamed and hurried to put the lid on! I DID IT! I was so proud! Then amongst my screaming, Sadie said, "You have a lady bug on your back." So I told her to get it off. She then told me she was scared. She had just caught a lady bug (Mr. Bug Catcher) the day before. I tried to remind her of that. Then she said, "It's not a lady bug, it's a scary bug!" So of course the screaming continued! She wouldn't even take the stick to scrape it off! Finally I flicked it off somehow and we all began settle down! Meanwhile, Tara is on the phone laughing at all of our excitement! We went inside and enjoyed our bravery as we watched our new friend trying to avoid a heart attack!

Aren't you so proud of me!?! He's pretty big! He was so cool. When we we catching him he was a brown color and then he turned green! Then later he turned a dark reddish-brown color! We didn't keep him long. I feel too guilty. I knew it would die if we kept it in this little container. Sadly, we let go in the woods. Sadie was whimpering but I was relieved! Keep in mind, that while we were doing this in the afternoon, Lucy was in her big girl panties, and panties alone. Yes, she is doing so much better with potty training. Initially when I start to potty train, I just like to go straight to panties, which I did. But then Lucy had a huge #2 accident on Chris' watch and he (being Mr. Germ freak) was disgusted and didn't understand why we wouldn't put her in pull ups. So I decided to switch to pull ups for a while. Well, Lucy then started to realize that she could just pee in them and wasn't even trying. So Friday we made the switch and she is now doing great! So back to the fact that Lucy was in just her panties, and Sadie was in shorts and a t-shirt. It was a beautiful day! Sunny, and gorgeous. Then in the evening a cold front came and it was freezing! This is what we went to bed to:
SNOW!!! It never snows here! It was full on slow drifting snow! At first it was sleet, but then we saw this as we were going to bed. It was exciting. We woke up to icy snow on the deck and trampoline. The girls loved it! Sorry I didn't take pictures of them, I was too cold and didn't want to go outside!! When Sadie was on the trampoline she said, "Mom, the trampoline is breaking!!!" Because the ice was cracking, it was too cute. She stood there motionless until I told her what was going on! Funny!
While they were out playing I was setting up for our photoshoot for our Christmas cards! YEAH!! They turned out so cute and fun. I love them. So if you are reading this and you know we don't have your address, and you would like us to send you a Christmas card, email it to me and we will send you one! :) chrisandlanae@sbcglobal.net

7 comments:

Tara said...

Yeah, I'm not even sure what to do for pictures this year...yuck.

I can't believe you caught that huge lizard in that shallow container! You are seriously brave!!! (And I was seriously almost peeing I was laughing so hard at all your girls' screaming. I couldn't even tell what was going on...the "lady" bug.
So funny!!
Great post. Love it!

Cyndi said...

WOW those are some BIG adventures. That is a big lizard...and how cool that it changes colors! Glad you got a picture of the SNOW that is so neat! We are "Freezing" here at 72 degrees...this is so weird living in the desert.

Cassi Moise-Shaw said...

How fun you guys are!

What is this snow stuff you speak of? I haven't seen that stuff in years! I really need to get out of Ventura. lol!

Three Guys and a Gal said...

Holy Smokes!! I would say brave!! I dont think I could have done it! What a good Mom you are!!

Tricia said...

You are crazy! What a nice mommy. I can't believe is actually snowed! I just tutored and the homework said it hardly snows in Austin, Texas!!

Heather Guymon said...

Oh man that brings back memories for me. I was a HUGE lizard catcher when I was younger and can say still that I can catch with the best of them. At my parent's house they are EVERYWHERE so I usually get the urge to catch them while we are there. I refrain because inside I feel a BIT silly and well...childish...when we were there for Thanksgiving there was this ONE that I just HAD to catch, so I did. Hannah thought it was pretty dang cool. Of course I let him go, I start to feel guilty too, but Hannah definitely didn't like that.

Lyndsee Bates said...

Yeah... good job Lanae, that looks like a fun adventure, gald you put Lucy back in panties, and I am SOOOOO bummed that I missed the "snow" fall but glad you got a photo of it for me :)