Okay, so Sadie has turned into a teenager over night! For the past 6 months or so she has been into picking out her own clothes. I understand that kids need to be able to make choices on their own, so as hard as it is for me to let go of that...I let her have that freedom. Anyways, there have been MANY arguments/fits about outfit choices lately. All summer she would only wear tank tops and stretchy shorts. And when I say tank tops I mean cheesie ribbed wife beater looking ones. I would buy cute tank tops for thinking that would work but she never wanted those ones. Her new thing is, if it shows her armpits, it is no good. And then she will raise her arms and stretch her torso up and feel if it shows her tummy! If it does, we change the outfit! Then she noticed that I will layer my shirts so she wanted to wear "undershirts." But lately it has turned into wearing 4 or 5 undershirts!!! And shirts over dresses and none of them matching! I would try to monitor it but also tried to give her her freedom! Which was very embarrassing at times! Then she wants to change her clothes multiple times a day so she would go through SO many shirts in a day! And she refuses to wear pajamas to bed. She has to wear clothes. Then she will wake up and "get dressed" into a new outfit! Anyway, her tantrums about this have been happening more frequently as I have been trying to teach her that that was not how we do it, and yesterday it escalated! And I was done with it! So here are the results! NO CLOTHES in her room except for panties and socks and Jammies (which she hates but now has to wear!). She now gets to choose between 2 outfits and does not get to change during the day! We had a little melt down this morning and then she was okay, but then there was a bigger one this afternoon when she came home from school and wanted to change! She was like a teenager with her grones and her slamming the door over and over! I tried so hard not to laugh. Anyway, we love that she is so determined even though it is so difficult at times! Silly Sadie!!!

7 comments:
HAHAHA! You had me laughing out loud on that one! Mostly because I know how it is, but it's so funny when it's somebody else's kid! Seriously, you give them an inch... I love the pics too!
CRAZY girl! I did enjoy seeing her wear 5 shirts, very stylish. I'll miss that about Sadie. I am impressed with your decision to take away all of her clothes, where are they? I saw that dresser and closet last week when I broke into your house :0 and there were a TON of clothes! Think on the bright side though now you don't have to clean up all her clothes anymore, and you wont have 3 outfits a day of hers to wash! I hope she doesn't give you too much teenager attitude! Be STRONG!!!!
Silly Sadie is right! This is the best. I'm so glad you took pictures and shared with us- they look great! It's funny because Shane could care less about any clothes. Boys just have drama about other thing! Stay firm and enjoy the time "extra" time you will now have since you won't be doing so much laundry!
I have a feeling I will be in the same boat as you Lanae...just give me about another year or so. That is so funny that she has such a strong personality though. I like that in a girl...honestly, they need it to survive this day in age.
how funny. totally funny.
Ok, that is just too funny. I gave up on the dressing the girls thing long ago. I now just try to steer them in the right direction, but usually I just don't want to have that fight. Just wait until she's 7! ;)
Gramma Stewie here: So hard to do, what you have done, but so great to teach her about privileges and choices. I'll bet I know where you got that idea...you are so lucky to have such a wonderful resource at your fingertips, when challenges come. Keep up the good work, Lanae! I also wondered where all those clothes went? Sadie will learn, and she still has choices. When you girls were little I would say "you can choose A or B" (not necessarily just on clothes, but everything) and you would inevitably come out with "I want C". I would continually have to tell you girls, "C was NOT one of the choices: Do you want A or B"? And THAT did frustrate you....imagine your pouty look and your folded arms (with the ugggg added for emphasis...you know what I mean....right?) Oh the memories we share.
Post a Comment